Majority of French oppose military intervention in Syria
Paris: Nearly two-thirds of the French people do not want France to participate in a military operation in Syria in response to the alleged chemical attack that left hundreds of civilians dead, a poll showed Saturday.
According to a survey conducted by BVA, a French marketing and opinion research company, 64 percent of respondents oppose military action in Syria, with 58 percent of them expressing doubts about French President Francois Hollande`s ability to conduct an intervention, reports Xinhua.
In an interview with a local daily Le Monde, Hollande stood firm to launch a "punitive" strike on the Syrian regime despite Britain`s pullback after the government lost a crucial vote on it in parliament.
He also affirmed that he would not take action without proof and confirming reports on the alleged chemical attack, expected after the UN experts` findings in their investigations.
However, a possible intervention in Syria could be launched before the parliament emergency session set for Wednesday.
"If I engage France, the government will inform (the parliament) about the objectives and means deployed," the president had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31