Make Right to Water, Sanitation a law: UN chief
New York: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has called on all member states to integrate the right to water and sanitation into their body of laws, Xinhua reported on Thursday.
Ban`s statement came as he addressed the UN General Assembly during a plenary meeting on the Human Right to Water and Sanitation.
"Many of your governments have already included the rights to water and sanitation in your Constitutions and your domestic legislation," Ban said. "Those governments that have yet to do so should follow suit without delay."
He said that a lack of water and sanitation is widespread and often devastating around the globe.
"At any one time, close to half of all people in developing countries are suffering from health problems caused by poor water and sanitation," he said. "Together unclean water and poor sanitation are the world`s second biggest killers of children."
Ban said that it is important to remember that although water has been established in some settings as a "right”, this does not mean that it is supposed to be free.
"Rather, it means that water and sanitation services should be affordable and available for all, and that states must do everything in their power to make this happen," he explained.
The current drought and resulting humanitarian crisis in the Horn of Africa, Ban noted, serves as a reminder of the importance of water to the very survival of human beings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah