Makeshift car bomb defused in Phuket: Thai police
Bangkok: Thai authorities defused a makeshift car bomb found near a police station on the popular tourist island of Phuket, an official said on Monday.
The device was found yesterday after the authorities searched a suspicious vehicle left in the car park of a police station on the island.
The "bomb was found hidden in a pick-up truck which was stolen a few months ago," Phuket Provincial Police Commander Ong-Art Piuruengnon told by telephone.
"A bomb disposal team defused it and found that it was unable to explode," he added.
While bombings are common in Thailand`s insurgency-plagued deep south near the border with Malaysia, it is believed to be the first time that a car bomb has been found in Phuket, which is popular with foreign tourists.
Police declined to give details about the type of explosives discovered and it was unclear who left the device.
Muslim militants have waged a near-decade-long insurgency in Thailand`s southernmost provinces but they are not known to have targeted Western tourists.
More than 20 people were wounded yesterday when a car bomb went off near a hotel in the southern province of Songkhla.
Shadowy insurgents have waged near-daily bomb and gun attacks, targeting security forces and civilians from both the Buddhist and Muslim communities in a conflict has left more than 5,700 people dead.
Thailand`s tourist-friendly image as the "Land of Smiles" has been tested in recent years by political violence, devastating floods, deadly bus and boat accidents, and growing concerns about crimes against foreigners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation