Malala top name, Apocalypse top word of 2012
Los Angeles: Pakistani schoolgirl Malala Yousufzai, who was shot in her head by Taliban, has become the top name of 2012 along with Apocalypse, reflecting a growing fascination with `end-of-the-world` scenario, which emerged as the top word.
Korean rapper Psy`s infectious viral hit song `Gangnam Style` was the top phrase of the year, according to the 13th annual global survey of English language done by Global Language Monitor, which analyses the latest trends in word usage and their cultural impact.
Apocalypse was followed by deficit, Olympiad, Bak`tun, and meme. Completing the top 10 were MOOC, the Cloud, Omnishambles, Frankenstorm and obesogenic.
The other top phrases that followed Gangnam Style were Global Warming/Climate Change, Fiscal Cliff, The deficit, God Particle, Rogue nukes, Near-Earth Asteroid, Binders Full of Women, Arab Spring, Solar max and Big Data.
The top 10 names of 2012 were Newtown and Malala (tie), Xi Jinping, Kate Middleton, Barack Obama, Mitt Romney, London Olympics, Higgs Boson, Europe (EU/Eurogeddon), Felix Baumgartner (skydiver) and Senkaku Islands.
"Apocalypse reflects a growing fascination with various `end-of-the-world` scenarios, or at least the end of life as we know it. This year the Mayan Apocalypse was well noted, but some eight of the top words and phrases were directly related to a sense of impending doom," says Paul J J Payack, president of GLM.
"These included Apocalypse, Bak`tun, Frankenstorm, Global Warming/Climate Change, God Particle, Rogue Nukes, Solar Max, Near-Earth Asteroid. Media examples include the Mayan apocalypse frenzy in Russia, the US Presidential elections (Obamageddon, Romneygeddon), the threatened dissolution of the common currency in Europe (Eurogeddon), to the call for the UN to implement an `Armageddon-type` policy to address previously undetected space rocks hurtling toward earth.
"Our top words, phrases and names this year represent some five continents, which continues to confirm the ever-expanding nature of the English language," he says.
Apocalyptic terms are combination or `portmanteau` words linking a root word with `apocalypse` such as the Snowpocalypse in the Washington DC area several years ago mentioned by Obama. Apocalypse, itself, can be traced to the ancient Greek word apokalyptein meaning to `uncover, restore, reveal or disclose`.
The rankings were based on actual word usage throughout the English-speaking world, which now numbers more than 1.83 billion people.
According to GLM, to qualify for these lists, the words, names, and phrases must be found globally, have a minimum of 25,000 citations and the requisite `depth` and `breadth` of usage. Depth is defined as appearing in various forms of media; breadth that they must appear world-over, not limited to a particular profession or social group or geography.
GLM employs its NarrativeTracker technologies for global Internet and social media analysis. NarrativeTracker is based on global discourse, providing a real-time, accurate picture about any topic, at any point in time. It analyses the Internet, blogosphere, the top 275,000 print and electronic global media, as well as new social media sources as they emerge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced