Malawi: 60 Somalis, Ethiopians feared dead
Lilongwe: Police in northern Malawi have found bodies of some 48 of the 60 Somalis and Ethiopians who were drowned in Lake Malawi earlier this week. The rest are also feared to be dead, Xinhua reported citing local media.
These people drowned when the boat they were sailing in to illegally get into Malawi sunk due to overloading on Monday.
One of Malawi`s leading private radios, Zodiak, reported on Thursday that the authorities in Karonga district were arranging to bury the 48 bodies into a mass grave while the search for the rest, believed to be dead, as well was still underway.
Reports indicated that the Somalis and Ethiopians had connived with local Malawians to ferry them from Tanzania to Malawi by boat across Lake Malawi. But since the boat was overloaded, it sunk into Lake Malawi on Monday.
Almost every month, hundreds of illegal immigrants from Somalia and Ethiopia cross Lake Malawi to get into Malawi through lakeshore districts of Karonga, Nkhatabay and Nkhotakota.
Most of the immigrants get apprehended while some successfully make their way to South Africa, using Malawi as a conduit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL