Malawi: 60 Somalis, Ethiopians feared dead
Lilongwe: Police in northern Malawi have found bodies of some 48 of the 60 Somalis and Ethiopians who were drowned in Lake Malawi earlier this week. The rest are also feared to be dead, Xinhua reported citing local media.
These people drowned when the boat they were sailing in to illegally get into Malawi sunk due to overloading on Monday.
One of Malawi`s leading private radios, Zodiak, reported on Thursday that the authorities in Karonga district were arranging to bury the 48 bodies into a mass grave while the search for the rest, believed to be dead, as well was still underway.
Reports indicated that the Somalis and Ethiopians had connived with local Malawians to ferry them from Tanzania to Malawi by boat across Lake Malawi. But since the boat was overloaded, it sunk into Lake Malawi on Monday.
Almost every month, hundreds of illegal immigrants from Somalia and Ethiopia cross Lake Malawi to get into Malawi through lakeshore districts of Karonga, Nkhatabay and Nkhotakota.
Most of the immigrants get apprehended while some successfully make their way to South Africa, using Malawi as a conduit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter