Malawi gay couple sentenced to 14 years jail
Blantrye: A Malawi court on Thursday sentenced a gay couple who staged an illegal same sex wedding to 14 years in prison with hard labour.
Tiwonge Chimbalanga and Steven Monjeza were arrested on December 28 following a symbolic wedding and have been in jail ever since.
Homosexuality is illegal in Malawi and in several other African countries.
"I sentence you to 14 years imprisonment with hard labour each. That`s the maximum under the penal code," said magistrate Nyakwawa Usiwa Usiwa.
"I will give you a scaring sentence so that the public be protected from people like you, so that we are not tempted to emulate this horrendous example," added the judge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’