Malawi gay couple sentenced to 14 years jail
Blantrye: A Malawi court on Thursday sentenced a gay couple who staged an illegal same sex wedding to 14 years in prison with hard labour.
Tiwonge Chimbalanga and Steven Monjeza were arrested on December 28 following a symbolic wedding and have been in jail ever since.
Homosexuality is illegal in Malawi and in several other African countries.
"I sentence you to 14 years imprisonment with hard labour each. That`s the maximum under the penal code," said magistrate Nyakwawa Usiwa Usiwa.
"I will give you a scaring sentence so that the public be protected from people like you, so that we are not tempted to emulate this horrendous example," added the judge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan able to target Delhi from Kahuta near Rawalpindi in five minutes: Dr Abdul Qadeer Khan
- US zoo kills gorilla after 3-year-old boy falls into enclosure
- EC cancels polls for two remaining Tamil Nadu Assembly seats - Know why
- Cloudbursts, rainfall in Tehri district of Uttarakhand; Gangotri-Kedarnath road closed, pilgrims stranded
- WATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid - UEFA Champions League final