Malawi summons S Africa`s envoy over Zuma remarks
Blantyre (Malawi): Malawi on Wednesday summoned South Africa`s High Commissioner over President Jacob Zuma`s disparaging remarks about the country.
Ntombile Mabude was asked to explain a Zuma statement seen as suggesting that Malawi was backward, when discussing South Africa`s road infrastructure.
Foreign ministry spokeswoman Quent Kalichero said that Mabude was "summoned to discuss the issue".
The envoy held a meeting with the Secretary of Foreign Affairs, George Mkondiwa, in the capital Lilongwe.
Kalichero declined to provide details of the meeting.
On Monday, Zuma sparked controversy when he tried to convinced motorists to accept the country`s plan to toll highways around Johannesburg.
He said "we are in Johannesburg, this is Johannesburg. It`s not some national road in Malawi."
On Tuesday, Zuma`s spokesman Mac Maharaj defended the statement, saying it was reported out of context.
He said Zuma was trying to justify the sophisticated road system in the country`s economic hub. During an interview with a local radio, Power FM, Maharaj apologised Wednesday for the comments, saying he had received numerous angry call from Malawians.
"Let me apologise for that and withdraw it," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy