Malaysia bars US band`s show over Muslim criticism
Kuala Lumpur: Muslim-majority Malaysia has barred a performance by American metal band Lamb of God after Islamic officials accused the Grammy-nominated group`s work of being blasphemous.
The band expressed frustration because it believed authorities had not studied the content and meaning of its songs carefully enough.
Lamb of God had been scheduled to perform at a concert hall in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia`s largest city, on September 28.
But the Communications and Multimedia Ministry said late yesterday it would not issue a permit because the performance could infringe on Malaysia`s religious sensitivities and cultural values.
The decision comes after the government-run Department of Islamic Development last week said the group`s work could lead Muslims astray, partly because the band has been known to mix excerpts from the Quran, Islam`s holy book, with heavy metal music.
The band posted a statement on its Facebook page saying it would continue with other shows this month in New Zealand, Australia and Thailand.
"It is very evident (and a bit frustrating) that the groups, parties and powers that have taken the most offence to our music and lyrics, have themselves only made a passing glance at the content and meanings of those songs," the statement said, adding that more than 1,500 tickets had been sold in Malaysia.
Lamb of God is the second prominent American act in less than two years to run afoul of Malaysian authorities for religious reasons.
In February 2012, the government banned a show by R & B star Erykah Badu on the eve of her performance, saying a photo of her body art was offencive to Muslims.
Lamb of God, from Richmond, Virginia, has had three albums that reached the top ten of the US Billboard 200 chart.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das