Malaysia govt bans Muslims from Black Eyed Peas concert
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian government has barred Muslims from attending US hip-hop group Black Eyed Peas concert next month as the event is organised by an Irish beer company.
"The party is only open to non-Muslims aged 18 years and above", the Malaysian show`s official Web site said.
The ruling to bar Malaysian Muslims from taking part in the event is due to prohibition on alcohol consumption among the majority community.
This comes in wake of a recent controversial ruling by an Islamic, or Sharia court sentence to cane on a Muslim part-time model who publicly drank beer, though authorities this week agreed to review the penalty.
Officials also recently curbed retail sales of liquor in a central state.
Muslims in Malaysia are governed by Shariah or Islamic law, in family and property matters which forbids the consumption of alcohol.
The Black Eyed Peas will perform at a theme park near Kuala Lumpur on September 25 as part of worldwide celebrations marking the 250th anniversary of Guinness` flagship brewery in Dublin.
Previous major pop concerts in Malaysia, including one by the Black Eyed Peas in 2007, was open to Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened