Malaysia govt bans Muslims from Black Eyed Peas concert
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian government has barred Muslims from attending US hip-hop group Black Eyed Peas concert next month as the event is organised by an Irish beer company.
"The party is only open to non-Muslims aged 18 years and above", the Malaysian show`s official Web site said.
The ruling to bar Malaysian Muslims from taking part in the event is due to prohibition on alcohol consumption among the majority community.
This comes in wake of a recent controversial ruling by an Islamic, or Sharia court sentence to cane on a Muslim part-time model who publicly drank beer, though authorities this week agreed to review the penalty.
Officials also recently curbed retail sales of liquor in a central state.
Muslims in Malaysia are governed by Shariah or Islamic law, in family and property matters which forbids the consumption of alcohol.
The Black Eyed Peas will perform at a theme park near Kuala Lumpur on September 25 as part of worldwide celebrations marking the 250th anniversary of Guinness` flagship brewery in Dublin.
Previous major pop concerts in Malaysia, including one by the Black Eyed Peas in 2007, was open to Muslims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you