Malaysia jet search: As it happened on Friday
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna and Hemant Abhishek
18.30 pm: `Five aircrafts spotted `multiple objects``
AMSA updates state that five aircrafts spotted multiple objects of various colours during Friday’s search for the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370.
Though the objects have not been verified, AMSA states that they cannot be discounted either.
It states that a Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF) P3 Orion reported sighting a number of objects white or light in
colour and a fishing buoy.
A Royal Australian Air Force P3 Orion relocated the objects detected by the RNZAF Orion and reported
it had seen two blue/grey rectangular objects floating in the ocean.
A second RAAF P3 Orion spotted various objects of various colours in a separate part of the search area.
18: 15 pm: Grieving relatives storm out of Malaysia Airlines` press briefing?
Reports claim that relatives of the passengers of the ill-fated Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 stormed out of the airlines` press meet after citing that the information given by Malaysian officials was not very useful.
17: 15 pm: New Zealand military plane spots `objects` in Indian Ocean
Crew on board a New Zealand military plane has spotted several objects in the Indian Ocean west of Perth, reports BBC. Surveillance ships will likely reach the area by Saturday.
15: 45 pm: Our priority is to get to the debris sighted by satellites: Hussein
Malaysia Acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said that the focus right now is to reach the debris sighted by the satellites so that it can be identified if the debris sighted is of MH370 or not.
He also said that Malaysia will follow all possible ways to find the `black box` of the missing plane.
15: 20 pm: MH370 flew at a higher speed than previously presumed, says Hussein
While addressing media, Malaysia Acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein has revealed that the MH370 flew at a higher speed than previously presumed, as reported by BBC.
He further added that many nations, including Japan and Thailand, have sent satellite images and that the range of objects show the complexity in the search operation. He also said that Australia is leading the search operation.
14: 15 pm: Malaysian Acting Transport Minister, Malaysia Airlines CEO to brief media shortly
Malaysian Acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein and Malaysia Airlines CEO Ahmad Jauhari Yahya are expected to address a press conference in about an hour.
13: 51 pm: Chinese tourists cancel trip to Malaysia
Angered over the way Malaysia has handled the MH370 crisis, many Chinese tourists have cancelled their trip to the country. This has adversely affected the tickets sale between China and Malaysia.
Moreover, the top online travel agencies in China, including eLong, LY.com, Qunar, and Mango, have banned Malaysia Airlines. They have said that the ban will continue till Malaysian government and Malaysia Airlines release every piece of authentic information about the missing plane.
12: 55 pm: China`s Haixun arrives at new search area
China`s largest rescue ship Haixun 01 has arrived at the new search area which is about 320,000sq km and 1,850 km west of Perth, as reported by CCTV NEWS.
The search order was sent to Haixun 01 on March 17. The ship, which is equipped with a helicopter, underwater robot, black box search instrument, side-scan sonar and magnetometer, is one of China`s most advanced search and rescue vessels.
12:45 pm: Previous search not a waste of time, says AMSA
Australian Maritime Safety Authority`s John Young said that the search for missing Malaysian plane in the new area doesn`t mean that the previous scouring of the southern Indian Ocean had been a waste of time.
AMSA said the search would now focus on an area 1,100km north-east of the previous zone.
11:51 am: Kin of Chinese passengers aboard MH370 ask China to intervene in search
Families of Chinese passengers have asked Beijing`s special envoy in Kuala Lampur to launch its own investigation into the lost flight MH370, as per AFP reports.
Many have criticised the investigation carried out by the Malaysia into the search of the plane so far. They had earlier protested outside Malaysian embassy in Beijing.
11: 30 am: Malaysia Airlines to hold a press conference today
Malaysia Airlines will hold a press conference today at 18:00 Malaysia time (10:00 GMT). Later, Malaysia`s acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein will also be addressing the media on updates over missing plane.
10: 22 am: Chinese insurance companies pay compensation to kin of passengers aboard MH370
Chinese insurance companies have begun paying compensation to the families of those aboard the missing Malaysian plane.
China Life, the country`s largest insurance company, has compensated the families of seven passengers a total of 4.17 million yuan, Chen Honghao, an official from China Life`s department of planning told Reuters by telephone on Friday.
A total of 153 Chinese were on board the the plane. The firms begun making insurance payments after Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak announced that the plane had probably fallen into sea with no survivors.
10: 06 am: Nine ships move to new search zone
Nine ships, including HMAS Success and five Chinese ships, are moving towards the new search area of the missing plane, said AMSA.
Furthermore, HMAS Success is expected to arrive in the new search area by Saturday night.
9:22 am: New search area of missing MH370 close to Australia
Australia Maritime Safety Authority`s spokespersn John Young on Friday said that four of ten search planes are already in the new search area which is 680 miles to the northeast of the Indian Ocean and close to Australia. He also said the depth of water in search area is between 2,000m and 4,000m, as reported by BBC.
“The search for the missing plane has been shifted from the previous areas to further south, based on the new information received,” said Young in a press conference.
According to AMSA, the weather conditions in the new search area are expected to be better.
For more than a week, ships and aircrafts have been scouring seas 2,500 km (1,550 miles) southwest of Perth, where satellite images had suggested there could be debris from Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, which went missing on March 8 with 239 people aboard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27