Malaysia: `Need to counter wrong interpretation of jihad`
Kuala Lumpur: Worried that an "inaccurate interpretation" of Islam and the concept of jihad were being used to propagate extremist ideology, Malaysia`s senior religious officer has said he wants Malaysians to be taught about terrorism.
Home Ministry`s Religious Officer, Zamihan Mat Zain, said it was due to wrong interpretation of Islam that some people in the country were influenced by extremism, and this has to be countered to avoid incidents of terrorism in this Muslim majority nation.
"They (leaders), for example, give inaccurate interpretation of the `jihad` concept.”
"The jihad concept is wide and not only confined to war, but the leader exploits religious teachings for personal interests to an extent of (being) willing to engage in violent act to overthrow a government," he added.
In a TV programme titled "Religion and Terrorism", Zamihan said Malaysia has formulated a rehabilitation module for members of militant groups who were detained.
"This programme can be carried out with the cooperation of the relevant agencies, like the Islamic Religious Department and the police," he added.
Meanwhile, city police official Ayob Khan said based on police observation on previous cases involving militant groups, most of them were influenced by external factors and were linked to Islam, state-run news agency Bernama said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state