Malaysia on alert after terroists escape from Indonesian jail
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysia went on high alert after four Indonesian terrorists escaped from a prison in Indonesia’s Medan city during a riot last week.
The four men are among 218 people who escaped from Tanjung Gusta Prison during the riot that left three prisoners and two prison personnel dead.
Malaysia`s Special Task Force (Operations and Counter-Terrorism) director Mohamad Fuzi Harun said police and other agencies patrolling the borders were alerted following the escape of the terrorists.
There is a possibility that these men might slip back into the country through illegal entry points along the coast, he told The Star newspaper.
The terrorists were part of a 16-member gang that robbed an Indonesian branch of CIMB Bank and shot dead a police officer and wounded two security guards in August 2010.
One of them was arrested in Malaysia in October 2010. Police found two guns on the 27-year-old extremist, who was planning to smuggle the weapons to Indonesia for terror activities.
We are monitoring the situation (on the possible entry of the four men into Malaysia) closely and are in contact with our counterparts on the latest developments (in Indonesia), Harun said.
In a phone interview from Jakarta, Indonesia National Counter-Terrorism Agency head Ansyaad Mbai said one of the terrorists, identified as Fadli, had links with militants in Southeast Asia.
Fadli was a member of the Indonesian Mujahidin Group and was recruited by convicted Indonesian terrorist Toni Togar, who is serving a 20-year prison term in North Sumatra for his role in bombing the J W Marriot Hotel in Jakarta in 2003.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir