Malaysia parliamentary polls: 94-year-old grandmother among contenders
Kuala Lumpur: A grandmother aged 94 on Thursday became the first person to request for a nomination form in Malaysia’s Terengganu state to run for parliamentary elections for the second time.
The request soon after Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak announced plans to hold general elections.
A sprightly Maimun Yusuf asked for a nomination form at an election commission office, saying that she intended to stand as an independent Member of Parliament for Kuala Terengganu, the capital of conservative Terengganu state in the east coast of Malaysia.
"I saw the parliament dissolution announcement on television yesterday so I came here today to get the form," she told reporters.
Maimum had contested as the oldest contender in the 2008 election, but lost by only 685 votes.
She said she had spent her life savings of 30,000 ringgit (9, 740 U.S. dollars) to pay for the deposit in 2008.
She is now relying on her children, nieces or nephews, or potential sponsors to fork out the money.
"I am doing this for the people," she said.
Prime Minister Najib announced on Wednesday the dissolution of parliament to pave the way for what would be closely contested elections.
His ruling coalition National Front faces an uphill task to win back five states and the two-thirds majority they were denied at the hands of the opposition in the previous elections.
The National Front has ruled the country since Malaysia’s independence in 1957.
The elections for federal and state legislatures would be held on the same day by June and at a date to be announced by the election commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?