Malaysia plans ‘war crime’ trials of Bush, Blair
Kuala Lumpur: Former US president George W Bush and former British prime minister Tony Blair will be “charged” at a mock tribunal in Malaysia for committing crimes against peace during the Iraq war.
Former Malaysian prime minister Mahathir Mohamad, who heads the Perdana Global Peace Foundation that initiated the Kuala Lumpur War Crimes Tribunal, said both the leaders would be charged for planning, preparing and invading Iraq on March 19, 2003, in violation of the United Nations Charter and international law.
The tribunal would hold proceedings for four days, and will go public, the Star reports.
Dr Mahathir said although the two could not be jailed if they were found guilty, society could reject them by not inviting them for talks or events.
“Don`t entertain these people or invite them to give talks,” Dr Mahathir said.
Dr Mahathir alleged that Blair had lied both to the British Parliament and the British people.
“What do you want to learn from him? To learn how to lie?” he added.
Dr Mahathir said that voters of countries at risk of going to war should also hold politicians accountable by making them reject war as a way to resolve problems.
Tribunal counsel Avtaran Singh said if both leaders are found guilty of the current charges, the tribunal would continue with the second charge of torture and war crimes
Avtaran also pointed out that the United Nations Security Council and the International Criminal Court had ‘failed to take action against Bush and Blair’.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?