Malaysia summons Singapore envoy over spying claim
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysia`s foreign ministry summoned a senior Singaporean diplomat today over allegations that the city-state has helped the United States and Australia tap telecommunications links in Asia for espionage.
Singapore`s government has not publicly responded to the allegations, which were published yesterday in Australia`s Sydney Morning Herald and cite documents from National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden.
Foreign Minister Anifah Aman said in a statement that his ministry was seeking clarification from Singapore`s high commissioner, or ambassador, to Malaysia.
"If those allegations are eventually proven, it is certainly a serious matter that the government of Malaysia strongly rejects and abhors," Anifah said.
He said that spying against a good friend and neighbor was unacceptable.
Anifah`s ministry earlier this month protested to U.S. and Australian embassy officials over accusations that their diplomatic missions house surveillance equipment used to collect electronic communications.
The Sydney Morning Herald report said a National Security Agency map published by Dutch newspaper NRC Handelsblad this past week confirmed that Singapore played a role in helping the US and other intelligence partners tap undersea cables.
Similar spying allegations rocked relations between Indonesia and Australia this month, with Jakarta recalling its ambassador, downgrading relations and suspending cooperation on people-smuggling after reports of Australian tapping the phones of Indonesia`s president, his wife and eight Indonesian ministers and officials in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror