Malaysia to introduce biometric system to track foreigners
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysia is working to introduce a unique biometric tracking system, that it says will more effectively allow its Immigration Department to track foreigners who overstay.
Many foreigners misuse their social visit passes and stay on in Malaysia to work illegally, including taking part in activities of vice.
In the past, Malaysia has said that thousands of Indian nationals had stayed back in the country long after the expiry of their visas.
Immigration department said according to records, nationals from China and India formed the largest number of visitors to Malaysia. Last year, 6.93 lakh tourists from India visited Malaysia.
Immigration Department head Alias Ahmad said the tracking system would use the foreigners` biometric data, which is recorded when they enter the country.
"We can detect their location based on the biometric data in our system. For example, when they open a bank account they would need to provide their fingerprint," he told mStar Online.
He said the tracking system would also detect foreigners who check into hotels using their passports.
"This is why it should be compulsory for all foreign workers to open a bank account to receive their salary, while tourists should validate their passports upon checking into a hotel," he said as there will be a system linking it to the department to check for biometric data.
At the moment, the only way to detect foreigners who overstay is when they exit the country or during an enforcement raid.
Alias said the tracking system was a continuation of the Advanced Passenger Processing System (APPS), aimed at eradicating transnational crime such as human trafficking and drug smuggling.
"APPS does a background check on foreigners who enter Malaysia, including whether they have any criminal record," he said.
Alias added that there was currently no system to track the movements of foreigners beyond biometric checks at the country`s entry points.
However, he said that it was too early to say when it would be implemented as the system was still in the planning stage.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!