Malaysia to prevent passengers overstaying in airport
Kuala Lumpur: Security at the international airport in Malaysia`s capital will be overhauled to curb the problem of stranded passengers overstaying in the passageway.
The decision on new security measures for the transit area of the Kuala Lumpur International Airport was made after a 22-year-old Palestinian and seven other foreigners stayed in the transit area for 50 days recently.
Azmi Murad, senior general manager of special operations, said immigration, airlines and related agencies will frame measures and plug loopholes to prevent passengers making the transit area their home.
Authorities viewed the prolonged stay by Palestinian national Ahmed Kanan and seven other foreigners seriously because the facility could be abused, he said.
Currently, there is no time limit for transiting passengers at the transfer point. In fact, they can stay as long as they want," Murad said.
KLIA transit comes under our charge and as long as connecting passengers do not commit any crime or breach security, they will not be disturbed."
Murad said the security task force has stepped up checks on waiting passengers and those sleeping at the terminal. Details of dubious travellers are recorded and monitored to ensure they leave for their final destination within the stipulated period.
There are cases of passengers staying up to seven days on transit because their connecting flights are once a week, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai