`Malaysia working with other nations to combat terrorism`
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysia is working closely with intelligence agencies of several countries, including India to combat terrorism, Home Minister said and dismissed fears that his country was being used as a recruitment ground by terror groups.
Home Minister Hishammudin Hussein`s remarks come in the wake of the detention of two Malaysians in Beirut for alleged link to terror group al Qaeda.
"I want to assure Malaysians that the country is not a target at the present (recruitment) moment," Hishammudin told reporters after chairing a meeting on crime prevention at Parliament House.
Although he acknowledged that Malaysia may be a transit point for terrorists.
He said the authorities were aware of the activities and movements of locals and foreigners suspected of having links to terrorists groups.
He said that Malaysia has been working closely with intelligence agencies of the United States, Britain, China, Pakistan and India to combat international terrorism.
Malaysians Muhamad Razin Sharhan Mustafa Kamal, 21, and Razif Mohd Ariff, 30, were detained by Lebanese army intelligence at a hotel in Beirut few days ago.
Meanwhile, Deputy Premier Muhyiddin Yassin said Malaysia, a Muslim majority country, wanted to know how two of its citizens were influenced to join terrorist-related groups.
"We hope this is an isolated case. It is regrettable that young Malaysians were involved. We want to know how they were influenced," he added.
Meanwhile, opposition Islamic fundamentalist party PAS has said the party would not discourage youths from studying in religious schools in Pakistan and other countries that are allegedly used as fronts to recruit potential militants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India