Malaysian cartoonist arrested over comic book
Kuala Lumpur: A Malaysian political
cartoonist said on Friday he had been arrested under the Sedition
Act and his offices raided by police over his new book, just
hours before its planned launch.
Zulkifli Anwar Ulhaque -- better known as Zunar -- uses
cartoons to highlight contentious issues such as the sodomy
trial of opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim and police shootings.
Zunar said police seized 70 copies of his latest book,
called "Cartoon-O-Phobia", at his home and held him ahead of
its scheduled launch this evening.
"Police came and raided my office in the afternoon... now
they said I am arrested under the Sedition Act," he told AFP
by telephone while in custody at a police station.
"They say my new book is seditious. Certainly this is
intimidation of cartoonists," he said, adding that police had
not told him which cartoon in the book was considered
Police officials could not be immediately reached for
In July, Zunar launched a legal battle against the
government in a bid to lift a ban on two earlier comic books
which authorities said threatened public order.
"The raid at his office and his arrest only go to prove
that the authorities are cartoon-phobic," said Steven Gan,
chief editor of online news portal Malaysiakini, the publisher
of "Cartoon-O-Phobia" and some of Zunar`s earlier books.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender