Malaysian court jails six Indonesian pirates
Kuala Lumpur: A Malaysian court has sentenced
six Indonesians to 10 years in jail and caning for trying to
rob a merchant ship off its southern coast near Singapore,
reports said on Saturday.
A district court in southern Johor state sentenced the
men yesterday after they pleaded guilty to gang robbery of the
MT Sky Jupiter on September 19, the New Straits Times and
national news agency Bernama reported.
Government lawyer Mirza Mohamad reportedly called for a
deterrent sentence to reflect the crime`s seriousness, and the
court awarded the men 10 years in prison -- half the maximum
penalty -- and four strokes with the rotan cane.
"We do not want the situation to worsen like what is
happening in the Gulf of Aden" off Somalia where pirate
attacks are frequent, the Times quoted Mirza as saying.
Bernama reported the six, aged between 25 and 45, were
The men were spotted by Malaysian patrols as they tried
to board the merchant vessel, anchored off the country`s
tip near Singapore, and caught them after a chase.
The International Maritime Bureau (IMB) in June sent an
alert to ships traversing the South China Sea, warning of a
heightened piracy risk following the hijacking of three
tugboats and a barge this year there.
The Strait of Malacca -- separating the coast of
Indonesian Sumatra and the Malay peninsula -- has seen a lull
in attacks in recent years following cooperation by the
surrounding countries to rein in piracy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'