Malaysian panel upholds caning for beer-drinking woman
Kuala Lumpur: An appeals panel has upheld a Malaysian Sharia Court`s ruling to cane a Muslim woman for drinking beer, a media report said on Monday.
Kartika Sari, a 32-year-old model, was sentenced to six strokes of cane and a fine of 60,000 rupees was imposed on her for drinking beer at a night club on July 11 last year.
According to Pahang Sharia Chief Judge Abdul Hamid Abdul Rahman, the review by the Kuantan Sharia High Court Appeals Panel was on the court`s proceedings that led to the decision handed down to part-time model 32-year-old Kartika Sari who pleaded guilty to the charge on July 20, 2008.
If the punishment is carried out, Kartika would become the first Muslim woman to be caned in Malaysia.
"I found that the High Court Judge had acted accordingly within his jurisdiction as provided under Section 136 of the Pahang Islamic Administration and Malay Customs Enactment 1982 (amended 1987). As such, the decision stays," he was quoted by online newspaper `Star`.
Abdul Hamid said this while replying to a question on the recent development following the ruling made by Justice Abdul Rahman Md Yunos that had caused public uproar and drawn international attention.
He also said that as far as the court was concerned, they had done their judiciary duties.
"It is now up to the Pahang Islamic Religious Department to implement and enforce the punishment," he added.
On August 24, the sentence of Kartika Sari was postponed out of respect for the fasting month of Ramadan.
The Pahang Islamic Religious Department was reported to have said then that it was prepared to proceed with the caning after Id, depending on the review by the Kuantan Shariah High Court Appeals Panel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog