Malaysian PM urges MIC to win back support from its community
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak on Saturday advised the largest Indian ethnic party to "win back the support" of the community it had lost in last year`s elections.
Speaking at the opening of the 63rd MIC General Assembly here, Najib spoke of setting aside a key performance index (KPI) to the Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC).
"What is your KPI? Win back the support of the Indian community. Nothing else matters. We will never loose anything when we work hard, are humble and go down to the ground often," he said, adding that the coalition would get people`s support if it remained in touch with them.
The Premier, who spoke at the opening of the two-day assembly, reasserted his support to the Indian community and asked party leaders to refrain from being "arrogant".
"Barisan is a good product, the Barisan has given a lot (to the Indians), and we will continue to provide for the Indians as long as the Indian community responds to Barisan," he was said as quoting by the Star.
MIC chief Sammy Vellu also agreed to partner the Barisan Nasional in delivering the people`s expectations. He spoke of the party`s proposal to establish a Scheduled Investment Trust Fund for the Indian community to achieve the three percent equity target by 2020.
"The current equity position of the Malaysian Indians is only 1.1 percent. We need to increase this by another 1.9 percent to achieve the three percent target by 2020," the
MIC chief was said as quoting by the official news-agency Bernama.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!