Malaysian PM urges MIC to win back support from its community
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Tun Razak on Saturday advised the largest Indian ethnic party to "win back the support" of the community it had lost in last year`s elections.
Speaking at the opening of the 63rd MIC General Assembly here, Najib spoke of setting aside a key performance index (KPI) to the Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC).
"What is your KPI? Win back the support of the Indian community. Nothing else matters. We will never loose anything when we work hard, are humble and go down to the ground often," he said, adding that the coalition would get people`s support if it remained in touch with them.
The Premier, who spoke at the opening of the two-day assembly, reasserted his support to the Indian community and asked party leaders to refrain from being "arrogant".
"Barisan is a good product, the Barisan has given a lot (to the Indians), and we will continue to provide for the Indians as long as the Indian community responds to Barisan," he was said as quoting by the Star.
MIC chief Sammy Vellu also agreed to partner the Barisan Nasional in delivering the people`s expectations. He spoke of the party`s proposal to establish a Scheduled Investment Trust Fund for the Indian community to achieve the three percent equity target by 2020.
"The current equity position of the Malaysian Indians is only 1.1 percent. We need to increase this by another 1.9 percent to achieve the three percent target by 2020," the
MIC chief was said as quoting by the official news-agency Bernama.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- SCOPE for accountability check of NGOs getting funds from PSUs
- Govt to invest Rs 200 crore on scaling up existing incubators
- MUST WATCH VIDEO FOR ALL CRICKET FANS: When Rahul Dravid found himself stranded against XI South Africans
- Dayashankar row: How sympathising BSP leader Nasimuddin Siddiqui turns into a 'villain' – READ
- Will meet Dayashankar's daughter on Sunday: Naik