Malaysian PM would send peacekeepers to Bahrain
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian Premier Najib Razak says his country is willing to send peacekeepers to help "de-escalate tension" in Bahrain while backing Saudi Arabia`s role in resolving regional unrest.
Bahraini authorities in the kingdom ruled by a Sunni dynasty have attempted to curb violent protests in recent months inspired by uprisings that toppled Egypt`s and Tunisia`s presidents.
"Malaysia stands ready to contribute peacekeepers to the Kingdom of Bahrain, if invited to do so by the Bahraini leadership," Najib said in a statement late Friday following a meeting with Saudi Arabian monarch King Abdullah in Riyadh.
"Malaysia will consider it a great honour to offer assistance in this noble effort."
He said Malaysia, a Sunni Muslim-majority nation, supported the national dialogue process launched by Crown Prince Salman bin Hamad Al-Khalifa in a bid to "de-escalate tension in the country”.
On March 16, security forces drove mostly Shi’ite protesters out of central Manama`s Pearl Square and demolished their camp after King Hamad declared a state of emergency.
The King also called in Saudi-led Gulf troops to boost his security force.
Bahrain authorities said 24 people, including four policemen, were killed in the unrest with the Kingdom coming under strong criticism from international human rights organisations for its heavy-handed crackdown.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Desperate times, desperate measures! Parineeti Chopra's make-up ain’t gonna stop – See pic
- IPL 9 VIDEO: When Shikhar Dhawan, Yuvraj Singh became Gabbar and taxi driver
- First Talgo train trial on Bareilly-Moradabad rail route on May 29
- Rahul Gandhi to lead rally against AAP, BJP over Delhi power crisis
- Uttarakhand Board Class 12th Examination Results 2016: (uaresults.nic.in) Uttarakhand Board (UK) Class 12th Results 2016, Uttarakhand Class 12 Results 2016 to be declared today