Malaysian police arrest three Islamist militants
Kuala Lumpur: Three men, including a Malaysian Navy officer, have been arrested in Malaysia for being part of a militant group planning suicide bombings and attacks on missions in Syria and Iraq, police said here on Saturday.
They are linked to rebel groups, the Islamic State of Iraq and Sham (ISIS) in the Middle East and al Qaeda-linked Abu Sayyaf in southern Philippines, police said.
With the latest arrests by the Counter-Terrorism Unit, 15 members of the group have been detained since April 28 in various parts of the country.
Deputy Inspector-General of Police Mohd Bakri Zinin said the three men aged 29, 30 and 31 were detained in a special operation at a house in Sandakan on the east coast of Sabah state yesterday.
"We believe one of the suspects, aged 30, is a senior leader in the local militant group. Investigations reveal that the suspect had undergone training at a camp belonging to the Abu Sayyaf in southern Philippines," he said.
Bakri said the suspect sneaked back into Sabah on June 11 and hid in a house in Sandakan.
"The navy officer, who was based in Sandakan, is believed to have harboured the suspect along with another man. All three are being detained under the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act (Sosma)," he said.
The Star daily quoting unnamed sources said the militants were trained in southern Philippines, had slipped into Sabah and were planning to fly to Syria and Iraq, where the ISIS militant group is fighting to topple the existing regime.
The sources said the group`s plan was to go to Syria and launch attacks before heading to Iraq for their "end game".
"After the attacks, they were planning to launch suicide bombings in Iraq," the sources said.
They said that although 15 militants had been arrested so far, no weapons had been found.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt