Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian police have foiled a terror plot by the Islamic State to attack Western interests and entertainment outlets here and arrested two men linked to the dreaded group.
The first suspect, aged 28, was arrested by the Special Branch Counter Terrorism Division on July 2 and the second suspect, aged 31, on July 7.
"The 28-year-old suspect had been influenced by ISIS ideology since 2012 and was taking orders from senior European ISIS leaders," said Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar.
He said that the first suspect was close to Ahmad Effendi Manaf, the Malaysian suicide bomber killed in Syria last year.
Abu Bakar said the second suspect had gone to Syria in early 2014 and returned to Malaysia in August the same year after being injured in one of the clashes in Syria.
Their targets are believed to be western interests and entertainment outlets in the city, he said.
"We believe both suspects held meetings since late last year. It is definitely a worrying trend that IS members are directly taking orders from IS leaders in Syria to launch attacks in their home countries," he said in a statement.
He said the new modus operandi was "certainly similar" to attacks that occurred in Kuwait, France and Tunisia last month.
The official vowed that the police would remain vigilant and not let any attack occurred on Malaysian soil.
"We also seized several books on jihad and several receipts on purchases of tactical gear," he said.