Malaysian police probe `puppy torture` pictures on Twitter
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian police today said they had launched an investigation after pictures of a puppy apparently being tortured appeared on micro-blogging website
"We are looking into the report filed by several animal lovers regarding a dog being abused in a photo on an Internet website," a Malaysian police official, who declined
to be identified, told AFP.
"Investigations are being carried out but we cannot release any other details so far," he added. Malaysian Animal Rights Society president N Surendren said he and five other civil society groups filed a police report over the photograph, which he said appeared on the Twitter page of a popular Malaysian actress.
"The photo on Twitter shows two men in the process of hanging a small black and white puppy and both men are showing an obscene gesture while posing with the puppy, which is hanging by its neck," he told AFP.
"It is quite outrageous because the fact that they allowed the photo to be taken meant they felt they could get away with it and the police wouldn`t take action," he added. Surendran said the photograph came to the society`s attention when it was mailed to them from a person who had seen it on the actress` Twitter account, which is blocked from public access.
"We know the actress uploaded the picture in her tweet and we tried to contact her but she has refused to cooperate." Malaysian Animal Welfare Society president Shenaaz
Khan called the act "barbaric" and said the only positive thing was that the men`s faces were clearly identifiable in the picture, thereby aiding the police investigation.
Animal abuse cases are common in Malaysia, with critics saying punishment of a small fine and six months in jail fails to deter culprits. Activists in May protested at a wildlife park over a clip posted on video-sharing website YouTube showing a tiger being manhandled for the amusement of visitors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?