Malaysian police unearths credit card scam
Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian police has
unearthed a credit card scam after apprehending a group of
seven postmen who intercepted letters containing credit cards,
switched the microchips of the cards with fake ones and then
delivered them to the applicants.
The postmen, with the help of other syndicate members,
then used the cards with the original microchips to go on a
spending spree, local media reports said adding that the
syndicate that has been operating since 2009 chalked up close
to 1.5 crore rupees in purchases.
City deputy police chief Senior Assistant Commissioner
(SAC) Amar Singh said police got wind of the syndicate after
they arrested one of its members in the act of stealing a
credit card at a post office last week.
"The postmen would intercept the new credit cards in
the mail and switch the microchips with fake ones before
repacking the mail and sending them to the applicants," he
said adding that the syndicate also had the help of a National
Registration Department (NRD) officer who supplied them with
the names of the mothers of the real credit card applicants.
The names would be needed to activate the cards.
"The syndicate had racked up between 500,000 ringgit
and 1 million ringgit in credit card charges for purchases of
luxury items including electronic goods," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened