Malaysian state introduces Islamic currency
Kuala Lumpur: A Malaysian state is allowing people to use gold and silver coins at stores and restaurants to revive a practise from early Islamic societies, an official said on Friday.
The gold dinar and silver dirham coins provide an alternative to Malaysia`s currency, the ringgit, in northeastern Kelantan state, which is governed by the Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party, a conservative opposition group that promotes religious policies in its rule.
The gold dinar was the official currency of Muslim societies for centuries. The value of the coins used in Kelantan can fluctuate according to market prices, but officials say it remains a better alternative to currency affected by the US dollar and other foreign currency.
Kelantan authorities also say the use of such coins is encouraged in the Quran.
State officials have produced coins worth about USD 630,000 for use at about 1,000 outlets in Kelantan`s capital, said Nik Mahani Mohamad, executive director of Kelantan Golden Trade, which mints the coins.
"It`s a great, great moment for Muslims," Nik Mahani said. "We are providing an alternative means for the people to trade with."
The coins came into circulation on Thursday and can be purchased at various locations in Kelantan. Their worth is currently about USD 180 per dinar and USD 4 per dirham.
The state government also plans to give employees the option of receiving part of their salary in this currency, as well as introduce gold bars for large investments. Muslim alms can also be paid with the coins.
The Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party has governed Kelantan since 1990. Some of its policies over the years include banning gambling, nightclubs and rock concerts, and requiring Muslim female state employees to wear headscarves at work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next