Malaysian state introduces Islamic currency
Kuala Lumpur: A Malaysian state is allowing people to use gold and silver coins at stores and restaurants to revive a practise from early Islamic societies, an official said on Friday.
The gold dinar and silver dirham coins provide an alternative to Malaysia`s currency, the ringgit, in northeastern Kelantan state, which is governed by the Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party, a conservative opposition group that promotes religious policies in its rule.
The gold dinar was the official currency of Muslim societies for centuries. The value of the coins used in Kelantan can fluctuate according to market prices, but officials say it remains a better alternative to currency affected by the US dollar and other foreign currency.
Kelantan authorities also say the use of such coins is encouraged in the Quran.
State officials have produced coins worth about USD 630,000 for use at about 1,000 outlets in Kelantan`s capital, said Nik Mahani Mohamad, executive director of Kelantan Golden Trade, which mints the coins.
"It`s a great, great moment for Muslims," Nik Mahani said. "We are providing an alternative means for the people to trade with."
The coins came into circulation on Thursday and can be purchased at various locations in Kelantan. Their worth is currently about USD 180 per dinar and USD 4 per dirham.
The state government also plans to give employees the option of receiving part of their salary in this currency, as well as introduce gold bars for large investments. Muslim alms can also be paid with the coins.
The Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party has governed Kelantan since 1990. Some of its policies over the years include banning gambling, nightclubs and rock concerts, and requiring Muslim female state employees to wear headscarves at work.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Shocking! 7th Pay Commission recommends abolition of overtime for government employees
- VVIP chopper deal: BJP most welcome to make revelations, says Sonia Gandhi
- Ravana, the demon king is worshipped in these Indian temples
- 50,000 security personnel to guard last phase of West Bengal Assembly Election 2016
- As Donald Trump becomes presumptive nominee, China urges objectivity