Malaysian TV cameraman shot dead in Somali capital
Mogadishu: A Malaysian television cameraman was shot dead on Friday and another wounded by African peacekeepers in the Somali capital of Mogadishu, witnesses and a local aid worker hosting the journalists said.
Muhideen Mohamed, who works with the Malaysian Putera1 Malaysia Club charity, said the cameraman had been killed by peacekeepers from the AMISOM force, which were patrolling the city that has been the center of an Islamist insurgency.
"AMISOM killed a Malaysian journalist and injured another between the K4 road junction and Mogadishu airport on Friday," Mohamed, the aid group`s local coordinator told a news agency.
The peacekeepers` armored convoy had been heading toward the airport, where they are based, when they opened fire on the journalists` vehicle, Mohamed said.
"Two bullets hit the journalist, one in the head and another on the shoulder. He died on the spot," he said, adding the second reporter suffered a bullet wound on one arm.
A spokesman for the peacekeepers said, they were aware of the shooting. "We are investigating, who opened fire. Was it AMISOM or another group?" Prosper Hakizimana, AMISOM`s deputy spokesman told a news agency.
A statement on the website of the Malaysian news agency Bernama named the cameraman as 39-year-old Noramfaizul Mohd Nor and said, he had been on a humanitarian mission to the famine-struck nation.
One witness said, the charity`s staff was well known in the area. "The Malaysian car was turning into a small road just in front of my shop, when an AMISOM convoy opened fire," shopkeeper Mohamed Ali told a news agency. "I know the workers for they always pass here."
The 9,000-strong AMISOM force is effectively all that prevents al Qaeda-affiliated rebels from overthrowing the UN backed government.
The al Shabaab militants withdrew from Mogadishu last month but warned they would carry out guerrilla attacks on the coastal city such as suicide car bomb attacks and assassinations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes