Malaysians to hang for Singaporean actress murder
Kuala Lumpur: Two Malaysian men have been sentenced to death by hanging for the 2001 murder of a Singaporean actress, according to reports Wednesday.
After a year-long trial, the High Court on Tuesday found make-up artist Esma Faizul Zainul Nor, 38, and unemployed Mohamad Fazli Ismail, 27, guilty of murdering Una Angelia Oliveiro, the Star daily reported.
It said Oliveiro, who acted in a Malaysian sitcom, was found with stab wounds in the dining room of her bungalow eight years ago. She was 44.
"There is not even an iota of (defence) evidence which could make the court not believe the testimony given by witnesses who heard confessions from both accused," judge Mohamed Apandi Ali said, according to the daily.
The duo had confessed to their friends that they had killed Oliveiro with a knife taken from her kitchen, it reported.
Court official were not immediately available to confirm the verdict and sentence. The death penalty is carried out by hanging in Malaysia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured