Malaysia`s Anwar case remains on US radar screens: Official
Washington: The United States will continue
to scrutinise the controversial sodomy trial of Malaysia`s
opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim despite improving bilateral
relations, a US official said.
"Let`s be clear that the two sides try not to avoid the
issues on which there will be continuing discussions, perhaps
some difficulties and challenges, and any good relationship is
able to deal with those issues," Assistant Secretary of State
for East Asian and Pacific affairs Kurt Campbell said.
"We must say, it is well known to all of you, Anwar has
many friends in the United States -- very high level friends,
people who care about him and we want very much for his
treatment to be just and we are watching carefully in this
regard," Campbell said.
Anwar is facing trial over allegations he had illicit
sexual relations with a young man who worked in his office.
The 62-year-old opposition leader has said the sodomy
trial, which could see him jailed for up to 20 years if
convicted, is a plot to end his political career.
Anwar was sacked in 1998 and convicted on sodomy and
corruption charges but was released in 2004 after the sexual
misconduct count was overturned, allowing him to make a
comeback to politics as the leader of a reinvigorated
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Massive surge in BJP's seats; counting underway
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena, BJP supporters clash in Mumbai; Congress wiped out from state
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway