Malaysia`s Anwar set to testify in sodomy trial
Kuala Lumpur: A high court judge on Wednesday ordered opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim to begin giving testimony in August in his drawn-out but high-profile sodomy case.
It will be the first time the 63-year-old Anwar, who is accused of sodomising a 25-year-old former aide at an upmarket apartment in June 2008, has taken to the stand to testify at the trial.
Anwar, once heir-apparent to ex-prime minister Mahathir Mohamad, has consistently said that the charges are politically motivated to discredit him, though the government has denied any involvement.
High Court Judge Zabidin Mohamed Diah said the trial would continue on August 08 with Anwar expected to take the stand to testify.
"I hereby set the date for the defence to submit its case from August 08 to 26," he said.
But Anwar`s lawyer Sankara Nair accused government lawyers of not allowing the defence to meet key witnesses including Prime Minister Najib Razak and his wife Rosmah Mansor.
"We want them to be produced (in court)... It`s an absolute right of the defence," he said, adding that Anwar will file an application to ask the judge to order them to be interviewed before he testifies.
Anwar is also fighting to remove trial judge Zabidin. The former deputy prime minister claims Zabidin has prejudged his guilt after the prosecution made their case to the court.
In May, the judge ruled that Anwar had a case to answer after finding the prosecution`s main witness -- the accuser -- "credible". That decision amounted to a prejudgement, Anwar`s team says.
Anwar faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted of sodomy, which is illegal, even among consenting adults, in Muslim-majority Malaysia.
Anwar was sacked as deputy premier in 1998 and found guilty of corruption and sodomy. He was imprisoned until 2004 when the sodomy conviction was overturned.
He then revived the opposition, forming a coalition that made major inroads during the last general elections, in 2008, threatening the Barisan Nasional`s five-decade grip on power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened