Malaysia`s first school for pregnant teens receives first intake
Kuala Lumpur: Five heavily pregnant teenagers
signed up to become the pioneer students at Malaysia`s first
school dedicated to pregnant teenagers.
Accompanied by their families, the girls, aged between 16
and 17, unmarried and into the second trimester of their
pregnancies, came to register at the aptly named Sekolah
Harapan or School of Hope yesterday, which is
located in Malacca state.
The school was conceived by the Malacca Chief Minister
Mohamed Ali Rustam, who wanted the teenagers to continue their
studies without being stigmatized and as a way to curb the
rising phenomenon of ``baby dumping.``
``Out-of-wedlock pregnancy cases are increasing
nationwide and rather than sweeping the problem under the
carpet, we should take action to address the problem before it
become worse,`` the New Straits Times daily quoted him
saying after he toured the premises on Sunday.
The idea was sparked by concerns over the number of cases
reported of babies, either dead or alive, being abandoned in
garbage dumps, thrown into rivers or left for dead on the
Up to this year alone, there were some 70 cases reported
nationwide and according to Ali, most of them involved Muslim
The school, which can accommodate 40 students, is run by
the Malacca Islamic Affairs Department and was originally
planned for Muslims, but now it has been decided that
everyone, irrespective of religion or race, would
That came after an ethnic Chinese girl who is non-Muslim
applied. She is one of the five girls accepted into the
Besides studying for subjects offered by normal schools
like mathematics, science and history, these girls would also
be given counseling and lessons on baby care.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'