Malaysia’s ‘whip-for-drinking-beer’ model a free woman now
Kuntan: Former Malaysian model Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, whose caning sentence for drinking beer in public had been converted into a community service one, is now a free woman.
She completed her three-week community service at the Tengku Ampuan Fatimah Children’s Home at Alor Akar about 10 kilometres from here, and was released on Thursday, The Star reports.
Kartika, a mother of two, was sentenced by the Kuantan Syariah Court in July last year to six strokes of the rotan and a fine of RM 5,000 for drinking beer in December 2007 at a hotel.
Her case had attracted both local and international attention, following which the Sultan of Panang, Sultan Ahmad Shah, used his discretion to spare the mother-of-two from the canning sentence.
Kartika had earlier said that she wanted to get a job after her community service and focus on her children - one of whom was afflicted with cerebral palsy while the other had a heart condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of people's empathy towards terrorists in Kashmir
- DNA: Today in History | June 28, 2016
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system