Malaysia’s ‘whip-for-drinking-beer’ model a free woman now
Kuntan: Former Malaysian model Kartika Sari Dewi Shukarno, whose caning sentence for drinking beer in public had been converted into a community service one, is now a free woman.
She completed her three-week community service at the Tengku Ampuan Fatimah Children’s Home at Alor Akar about 10 kilometres from here, and was released on Thursday, The Star reports.
Kartika, a mother of two, was sentenced by the Kuantan Syariah Court in July last year to six strokes of the rotan and a fine of RM 5,000 for drinking beer in December 2007 at a hotel.
Her case had attracted both local and international attention, following which the Sultan of Panang, Sultan Ahmad Shah, used his discretion to spare the mother-of-two from the canning sentence.
Kartika had earlier said that she wanted to get a job after her community service and focus on her children - one of whom was afflicted with cerebral palsy while the other had a heart condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test