Maldives names new defence minister amid chaos
Male: The new Maldivian President has made
urgent cabinet appointments to try and contain violence that
has spread across the archipelago since his predecessor said
he was forced to resign in a coup.
President Mohamed Waheed appointed retired colonel
Mohamed Nazim as defence minister and lawyer Mohamed Jameel
Ahmed as home minister, presidential aide Mohamed Shareef said
"Even though the appointment of a national unity cabinet
is taking time, the president made these two urgent
appointments to take charge and control the spread of violence
since Wednesday evening," Shareef said.
Waheed was sworn in Tuesday just hours after his
predecessor announced his resignation in a televised press
conference. Nasheed later claimed that he had been forced to
step down in what was an effective coup d`etat orchestrated by
opposition leaders with the backing of the security forces.
Violence erupted across the holiday resort island chain
yesterday as supporters of the former president stormed police
stations and burned government buildings in outlying atolls.
In the capital Male, thousands of protesters clashed with
security forces near the police and military headquarters.
Shareef accused Nasheed of inciting his supporters to
unleash "anarchy" on the streets.
Maldivian police declined to give details of any
casualties, but denied media reports that as many as three
people may have been killed in the unrest.
Police Chief Inspector Abdul Mannan Yoosuf confirmed that
violence in the capital had spread to far flung atolls, but
added that tourist resorts were unaffected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...