Maldives` National Commission of Inquiry set to begin work
Male: The National Commission of Inquiry set by the Maldivian government to probe the events leading to the regime change that took place early this year will start its work soon after differences over its formation was resolved.
The name proposed by former President Mohamed Nasheed to the Commission has been approved by both the Maldivian Government and the Commonwealth`s Special Envoy Sir Donald MacKinnon.
The name proposed by Nasheed is believed to be the former Principal of a Male` Secondary School Ahmed Saeed.
"I am happy that we finally have a resolution on the issue of Nasheed`s nominee, and I commend both sides for their patience and perseverance in this regard," Donald said.
In keeping with the commitment signed by the Maldives Government on May 15, the Commission will be co-chaired by a Commonwealth-funded senior retired judge from Singapore.
The Commonwealth and the United Nations will each provide an expert advisor for support.
Nasheed had resigned on February 7 this year in what he termed was a "coup" and was replaced by his then Vice President Mohamed Waheed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you