Maldives new president to announce his cabinet soon
Male: Maldives new President Mohamed Waheed Hassan is likely to announce his "national unity" cabinet soon
and has ordered a probe into the recent events that unfolded
in this archipelago nation.
"The cabinet is likely to be announced in two or three
days," a senior Maldivian government official said.
Waheed called for chaos on the streets to stop and to
restore peace and calm.
"The way of responsible leaders is not (to) cause strife
among the people. The way of responsible leaders should be to
resolve disputes peacefully through dialogue," he was quoted
as saying in a statement released by his office.
Soon after taking over as the new President, Waheed had
announced the appointment of retired Colonel Mohamed Nazim as
the Defence Minister and lawyer Mohamed Jameel Ahmed as the
"Even though the appointment of a national unity cabinet
is taking time, the president made these two urgent
appointments to take charge and control the spread of violence
since Wednesday evening," Presidential aide Mohamed Shareef
had said on Thursday when the appointments were made.
Incidentally, both the new ministers are said be hard on
The picturesque country has been marred with political
instability and violence since Nasheed resigned and his Vice
President took charge.
Waheed was sworn in on Tuesday just hours after his
predecessor announced his resignation in a televised press
At a press conference held today for the local media at
the President`s Office here, Waheed, "announced an
investigation into the events that took place in the country
from January 14 to February 8, 2012."
He added as the country`s economy depends on tourism, it
is important that the country maintains its good image as a
He further re-assured that life and property of all
citizens will be protected, according to the statement.
He also said the previous government`s projects and
programmes that are beneficial to the people would continue.
The president announced that his administration would
give a high priority to reinstate the civil service salary and
implement court rulings on employment disputes over the years.
Waheed also urged all political parties and leaders to
put forward national interest before politics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog