Maldives new president to announce his cabinet soon
Male: Maldives new President Mohamed Waheed Hassan is likely to announce his "national unity" cabinet soon
and has ordered a probe into the recent events that unfolded
in this archipelago nation.
"The cabinet is likely to be announced in two or three
days," a senior Maldivian government official said.
Waheed called for chaos on the streets to stop and to
restore peace and calm.
"The way of responsible leaders is not (to) cause strife
among the people. The way of responsible leaders should be to
resolve disputes peacefully through dialogue," he was quoted
as saying in a statement released by his office.
Soon after taking over as the new President, Waheed had
announced the appointment of retired Colonel Mohamed Nazim as
the Defence Minister and lawyer Mohamed Jameel Ahmed as the
"Even though the appointment of a national unity cabinet
is taking time, the president made these two urgent
appointments to take charge and control the spread of violence
since Wednesday evening," Presidential aide Mohamed Shareef
had said on Thursday when the appointments were made.
Incidentally, both the new ministers are said be hard on
The picturesque country has been marred with political
instability and violence since Nasheed resigned and his Vice
President took charge.
Waheed was sworn in on Tuesday just hours after his
predecessor announced his resignation in a televised press
At a press conference held today for the local media at
the President`s Office here, Waheed, "announced an
investigation into the events that took place in the country
from January 14 to February 8, 2012."
He added as the country`s economy depends on tourism, it
is important that the country maintains its good image as a
He further re-assured that life and property of all
citizens will be protected, according to the statement.
He also said the previous government`s projects and
programmes that are beneficial to the people would continue.
The president announced that his administration would
give a high priority to reinstate the civil service salary and
implement court rulings on employment disputes over the years.
Waheed also urged all political parties and leaders to
put forward national interest before politics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened