Maldives president orders resort spas to reopen
Colombo: The president of the Maldives has ordered the country`s resorts to reopen their spas pending a court decision, just days after they were shut under pressure from protesters led by an Islamic opposition party.
President Mohammed Nasheed said today that he has asked the Supreme Court to decide whether operating spas is against the principles of Islam a decision that could be critical to the country`s economic lifeline.
Last week, authorities ordered all spas to be closed down following a mass protest on December 23 calling for a halt to what demonstrators called "anti-Islamic activities" in the Indian Ocean island nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon