Maldives president orders resort spas to reopen
Colombo: The president of the Maldives has ordered the country`s resorts to reopen their spas pending a court decision, just days after they were shut under pressure from protesters led by an Islamic opposition party.
President Mohammed Nasheed said today that he has asked the Supreme Court to decide whether operating spas is against the principles of Islam a decision that could be critical to the country`s economic lifeline.
Last week, authorities ordered all spas to be closed down following a mass protest on December 23 calling for a halt to what demonstrators called "anti-Islamic activities" in the Indian Ocean island nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip