Maldives president orders resort spas to reopen
Colombo: The president of the Maldives has ordered the country`s resorts to reopen their spas pending a court decision, just days after they were shut under pressure from protesters led by an Islamic opposition party.
President Mohammed Nasheed said today that he has asked the Supreme Court to decide whether operating spas is against the principles of Islam a decision that could be critical to the country`s economic lifeline.
Last week, authorities ordered all spas to be closed down following a mass protest on December 23 calling for a halt to what demonstrators called "anti-Islamic activities" in the Indian Ocean island nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia