Maldives president orders resort spas to reopen
Colombo: The president of the Maldives has ordered the country`s resorts to reopen their spas pending a court decision, just days after they were shut under pressure from protesters led by an Islamic opposition party.
President Mohammed Nasheed said today that he has asked the Supreme Court to decide whether operating spas is against the principles of Islam a decision that could be critical to the country`s economic lifeline.
Last week, authorities ordered all spas to be closed down following a mass protest on December 23 calling for a halt to what demonstrators called "anti-Islamic activities" in the Indian Ocean island nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chasing 286-run target, India lose Rahane and Rohit early
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'