Maldives president orders resort spas to reopen
Colombo: The president of the Maldives has ordered the country`s resorts to reopen their spas pending a court decision, just days after they were shut under pressure from protesters led by an Islamic opposition party.
President Mohammed Nasheed said today that he has asked the Supreme Court to decide whether operating spas is against the principles of Islam a decision that could be critical to the country`s economic lifeline.
Last week, authorities ordered all spas to be closed down following a mass protest on December 23 calling for a halt to what demonstrators called "anti-Islamic activities" in the Indian Ocean island nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'