Maldives quashes flogging sentence against teenage girl
Colombo: The Maldives High Court has overturned a juvenile court verdict sentencing a 15-year-old rape victim to 100 lashes after she was charged with fornication.
The case of the teenage girl, who was previously found to have been a victim of sexual abuse, has garnered global media attention and condemnation from human rights groups, Xinhua reported citing Minivan news.
At the same time, an online petition calling for her sentence to be revoked was signed by over two million people.
The high court decided to revoke the minor`s sentence after she denied confessing to having consensual sex with an unknown partner during the juvenile court trial.
It was further noted by the court that there were discrepancies in the statement given by the girl to the juvenile court.
The high court concluded that the minor, found to be suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, was also unable to correctly define pre-marital sex according to the law.
Authorities previously said the minor had confessed to having consensual sex during a separate investigation into her sexual abuse.
According to Islamic scholars, a confession of fornication can be retracted before the resulting sentence is carried out in full, the high court statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP