Maldivian teen to get 100 lashes for sex with older man
London: A 16-year-old girl in Maldives has reportedly been sentenced to 100 lashes and eight months’ house arrest for having sex with an older man.
The girl has ``confessed`` to having sex with the 29-year-old after her family pressed charges.
According to a report by Minivan News, the man was found guilty of having sex with a minor and sentenced on Sunday to ten years in jail.
The Maldivian court stated that the girl`s sentence would be implemented when she turns 18, the Daily Mail reports.
As she is legally a minor, the court stated that the girl`s sentence would be implemented when she turned 18,`` Minivan News said.
The sentence came ten months after UN Human Rights chief Navi Pillay urged the Maldives to stop publicly flogging women for having extra-marital sex.
According to the paper, Pillay noted during a visit to the country that the Maldives had progressed in safeguarding the rights of its 330,000 Sunni Muslims, but more needed to be done to protect women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?