Male nurse in UK quizzed over hospital deaths
London: A male nurse is being questioned on
suspicion of three counts of murder by police investigating
the poisoning of patients at a British hospital.
Victorino Chua, 46, is also being held on suspicion of 18
counts of causing grievous bodily harm (GBH) with intent.
Police have time till Monday morning to question him over
the tampering of records at the Stepping Hill hospital.
Greater Manchester Police said it was important that "no
-one jumps to any conclusions".
Officers said they were questioning him in relation to
the deliberate contamination of products at the hospital
between June 1 and July 15.
Chua was arrested on Thursday as it emerged a fourth
death at the hospital was being investigated, the BBC
He was initially held over reports medical forms were
altered and a patient given extra medication.
Assistant Chief Constable Terry Sweeney, of Greater
Manchester Police, said: "Firstly and most importantly I must
stress that we have not established the degree to which
deliberate contamination of products may have contributed to
the death of four patients.
"We have taken the decision to arrest this man on
suspicion of murder in close consultation with the CPS [Crown
Prosecution Service] and it is important that no-one jumps to
any conclusions because of these steps or second guesses where
our investigations will take us.
"This specific inquiry, and the investigation as a whole,
is a difficult and complex piece of work that requires very
detailed forensic and medical analysis, which is ongoing
There are now 21 people detectives believe have been
affected by contaminated saline, including Tracey Arden,
Arnold Lancaster and Derek Weaver, who died in the summer.
Bill Dickson, 82, had his saline poisoned over the
summer, and later died on New Year`s Eve. He is currently
being treated as one of the victims of GBH with intent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?