Mali boat accident: 30 dead, up to 160 missing
Kouri: Survivors of a boat that sank in central Mali say as many as 160 people are missing more than a day later.
The vessel travelling from Mopti to the fabled northern town of Timbuktu broke apart late Friday while passengers were sleeping onboard.
Yaya Tikambo, a representative of the boat company at the scene, said today that 30 bodies had been retrieved from the Niger River.
However, survivors and a local official said it is believed that some 400 people were onboard. Ibrahim Yattara, 29, whose pregnant wife is missing, said passengers woke up to a loud sound and the boat soon broke into two pieces.
Many of those travelling to Timbuktu were schoolchildren returning for class. Others were headed home for the upcoming Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?