Mali boat accident: 30 dead, up to 160 missing
Kouri: Survivors of a boat that sank in central Mali say as many as 160 people are missing more than a day later.
The vessel travelling from Mopti to the fabled northern town of Timbuktu broke apart late Friday while passengers were sleeping onboard.
Yaya Tikambo, a representative of the boat company at the scene, said today that 30 bodies had been retrieved from the Niger River.
However, survivors and a local official said it is believed that some 400 people were onboard. Ibrahim Yattara, 29, whose pregnant wife is missing, said passengers woke up to a loud sound and the boat soon broke into two pieces.
Many of those travelling to Timbuktu were schoolchildren returning for class. Others were headed home for the upcoming Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- Aamir Khan's remarks on intolerance stir controversy; BJP slams, film fraternity split
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'