Mali rebels meet French government
Paris: French diplomats are meeting with a secular rebel group vying for control of northern Mali, and pressing the group to reconcile with the West African country`s government.
The meeting in Paris is with the NMLA, or National Movement for the Liberation of the Azawad. The NMLA, seeking an independent state for the Tuareg people, has been sidelined by two radical Islamist groups that have the upper hand in northern Mali.
African nations and the UN are preparing for a possible military intervention amid fears the region will become a terrorist breeding ground. Efforts are also under way to reconcile Mali`s conflicting groups.
French Foreign Ministry spokesman Philippe Lalliot told an online briefing that the French diplomats are urging the rebels to renounce their bid for independence
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read