Man, 102, `kills self over Japan nuclear evacuation plan`
Tokyo: A 102-year-old man has killed
himself in a newly-declared no-go zone around Japan`s crippled
nuclear plant because he was depressed at having to leave his
home, a report said on Thursday.
The centenarian, the oldest resident of Iitate
village, 40 kilometres from the Fukushima Daiichi plant, took
his own life after talking to his family about evacuation,
Jiji Press reported, citing local officials.
"Before the suicide, the oldest resident of the
community discussed evacuation plans with his family,
municipal officials said, adding that they suspect the man was
depressed at the idea that he would have to leave his place,"
Iitate was one of a number of areas the central
government declared off-limits earlier this week because of
concerns over the effect of long-term exposure to radiation
from the leaking nuclear plant.
Thousands had already been evacuated from a
20-kilometre exclusion zone around the plant, which began
spewing toxic radiation after its cooling systems were
disabled by the March 11 tsunami that hit Japan.
The amended order, which the government said would
take effect within the next month, will leave many thousands
An official from Iitate village confirmed that a
102-year-old man living in the area had died.
"However, we have not confirmed how he was found
dead or if he actually committed suicide," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read