Man accused of starting California wildfire
Redding (California, US): Authorities believe a wildfire in Northern California was sparked by the exhaust from a truck driven by a man delivering supplies to an illegal marijuana plot.
Freddie Alexander Smoke III, 27, was arrested on Saturday for investigation of recklessly causing a fire and illegally cultivating marijuana, according to the California Department of Fire and Forestry Protection.
The fire has burned 15 square kilometres of forested land and destroyed 18 structures, CalFire officials said. The fire, burning in steep terrain, was just 15 per cent contained yesterday morning.
More than 1,700 firefighters, aided by aircraft, battled the blaze in hot, dry conditions.
The wildfire had prompted evacuations and road closures, but CalFire said all residents have been allowed to return home.
Still, the fire is threatening 15 homes and about 50 other structures.
- Quota stir in Gujarat phase-II: Hardik Patel's PAAS to begin 'lollipop Mahotsav' protest from today
- Real Estate Act, designed to protect consumer interest, comes into force from today
- What an idea! Here's why NCP workers in Maharashtra danced in 'Nagin' style - Watch video
- John Kerry to travel to Geneva on Sunday in show of support for Syria ceasefire: US
- Istanbul braces for police lockdown on May Day