Man arrested in Malaysia on charge of defiling prayer room
Kuala Lumpur: The owner of a Malaysian resort who allowed Buddhists to use a Muslim prayer room has been arrested on a charge of defiling a place of worship, police said on Tuesday.
The 45-year-old Muslim man, a Singaporean with Malaysian Permanent Residency status, was arrested on Sunday at Tanjung Sutera Resort in southern Johor state.
Police said the incident is being investigated under Section 295 of the Penal Code for injuring or defiling a place of worship with intent to insult the religion of any class.
The man was later remanded to police custody for four days.
Malaysia, a Muslim majority country, has large non-Muslim ethnic Chinese and Indian communities.
A Muslim religious body said the prayer room at the resort will most likely be demolished after investigations are completed.
Johor Religious Council adviser Noh Gadut said, "There is a very strong possibility that the building, which was not built according to specifications, will be demolished."
He said the "surau", which a group of Buddhists from Singapore had used for chanting on Saturday, was not built with the approval of the Johor Religious Department.
"The Johor Religious Department cannot interfere with police investigations yet, but we will conclude our investigations within a month and hand over our report to the Johor Fatwa Committee," Noh told reporters after briefing the Sultan of Johor Ibrahim Sultan Iskandar.
A group representing Malaysian Buddhists apologised to Muslims for the Singapore group`s action.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks