Man arrested in US recruitment center bomb plot
Baltimore: A man was arrested for plotting
to blow up a military recruitment center, authorities said.
The man was caught in a sting operation in the
Baltimore area and was plotting to blow up an Armed Forces
recruiting station with what he believed to be a vehicle bomb,
the US Attorney`s Office for Maryland said in a statement
"There was no actual danger to the public as the
explosives were inert and the suspect had been carefully
monitored by law enforcement for months," the statement said.
There was no evidence the plot was linked to recent
shootings at military installations in the Washington area,
The man had an initial appearance scheduled in federal
court in Baltimore today afternoon. Officials did not release
There are two military recruiting offices in nearby
Catonsville - one Coast Guard office and one Air Force office.
A call to the Coast Guard office was referred to a spokesman,
who had no immediate comment. A call to the Air Force office
The case appeared similar to a recent bomb plot in
Portland, Oregon. The day after Thanksgiving, a Somali-born
teenager was arrested there after using a cell phone to try to
detonate what he thought were explosives in a van, authorities
said. He thought he was going to bomb a crowded downtown
Christmas tree-lighting ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach