Man arrested over alleged rape in queue for Wimbledon final
London: A woman was allegedly raped in a makeshift campsite erected for people in queue for Wimbledon final tickets on Sunday and a man has been arrested in connection with the incident, police has said.
Dozens of tents were set up in Wimbledon Park as hundreds of tennis fans waited to buy tickets to see Andy Murray on Centre Court.
Scotland Yard said a 30-year-old man was arrested and bailed over the alleged attack on the 34-year-old woman.
"Police are investigating an allegation of serious sexual assault in Wimbledon Park, off Church Road, in the early hours of Sunday July 7," a Scotland Yard spokesman said.
"A 30-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the incident and has been taken into custody at a south London police station. He was bailed out until early September pending further enquiries," he said.
The spokesman said the victim is being cared for by specialist teams.
"Inquiries are ongoing to establish the circumstances of the incident," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India, China should resolve issues through political acumen: Pranab Mukherjee
- Ex-Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi convoy attacked, police van set on fire near Gaya
- IPL 2016: David Warner praises SRH bowlers, fielders for win over KKR in IPL Eliminator
- Not just LGBT, Sonam Kapoor is strong supporter of basic human rights
- After Arvind Kejriwal, Sonia Gandhi meets 13-year-old Delhi rape victim at AIIMS