Man arrested over alleged rape in queue for Wimbledon final
London: A woman was allegedly raped in a makeshift campsite erected for people in queue for Wimbledon final tickets on Sunday and a man has been arrested in connection with the incident, police has said.
Dozens of tents were set up in Wimbledon Park as hundreds of tennis fans waited to buy tickets to see Andy Murray on Centre Court.
Scotland Yard said a 30-year-old man was arrested and bailed over the alleged attack on the 34-year-old woman.
"Police are investigating an allegation of serious sexual assault in Wimbledon Park, off Church Road, in the early hours of Sunday July 7," a Scotland Yard spokesman said.
"A 30-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the incident and has been taken into custody at a south London police station. He was bailed out until early September pending further enquiries," he said.
The spokesman said the victim is being cared for by specialist teams.
"Inquiries are ongoing to establish the circumstances of the incident," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi