Man charged over British nuclear submarine killing
London: British police charged a Royal Navy
officer with murder after a fellow officer was shot dead on a
British nuclear-powered submarine, the country`s prosecution
Ryan Donovan, 22, was also charged with three counts of
attempted murder following Friday`s incident on board the HMS
Astute, Britain`s most advanced submarine.
The attack claimed the life of Lieutenant Commander Ian
Molyneux, 36. Lieutenant Commander Chris Hodge, 45, was in a
stable condition in hospital yesterday.
The shootings happened as local politicians were being
shown around the vessel during its five-day visit to the port
of Southampton, on the south coast of England.
"I...have authorised them (the police) to charge Ryan
Samuel Donovan with Ian Molyneux`s murder and with the
attempted murder of Christopher Brown, David McCoy, and
Christopher Hodge," said Nick Hawkins, chief prosecutor for
the Wessex service, which covers Southampton.
Royston Smith, leader of the local council, tackled the
gunman before he could empty his SA80 rifle.
HMS Astute, which is almost 100 metres long, was launched
by Prince Charles` wife Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall, in
June 2007 but was only deployed in August last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch