Man convicted of whisky assault on S Africa`s Zuma
Johannesburg: A South African racehorse
owner was found guilty on Wednesday of assaulting President Jacob
Zuma after he spilled whisky on the leader at a horse race
Daryl Peense admitted in Durban Magistrate`s Court
that he spilled his drink as Zuma passed below his balcony at
the Durban July, the country`s largest horse race, but said it
had been an accident caused by people pushing to get a view of
However, one of Zuma`s bodyguards told the court he
had seen Peense deliberately pour a tumbler of whisky and
water over the president`s head, missing him only because an
alert guard used his jacket to shelter Zuma.
Peense, who testified that he was drunk at the time,
will be sentenced on September 7.
Prosecutors said he would likely escape jail time.
"It`s a probability that he will be fined,"
prosecution spokeswoman Natasha Ramkisson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends